Bringing you the Bounty of Western Montana
Here at CFAC, we are hard at work, collaborating with others to build our local food system. From billboards to house parties, hospitals to farmers' markets, read on to see what we've been up to!
- Five Exciting CFAC Accomplishments
- Building our Economy
- Helping New Farmers
- Protecting Farmland
- Spotlight: Great People!
- Five ways you can help
- Farmland conservation is on the table and Missoula County is actively pursuing proactive policies!
- We helped St. Pat’s Hospital start a 50 person CSA as a health perk for their employees!
- Five working groups emerged from our Food Summit last year and are bridging the gaps to create new jobs, develop new markets, and more!
- Land Link Montana, our program that links beginning farmers looking for land with landowners, made its first match!
- Orchard Homes Farmers’ Market will be accepting food stamps!
Investing in Western Montana’s food and farm economy is a win-win for farmers, ranchers, and
consumers. Together with the Mission Mountain Food Enterprise Center we convened a Regional Food Summit. Five working groups have been started, focusing on:
- Aggregation and Distribution
- Wholesale Vegetable Production
These groups continue to work on key issues, creating needed infrastructure to ensure growth in these areas. We’ll be bringing everyone back together in February to celebrate progress and strategize next steps.
We are lucky to have a great group of farmers in our region, but if we want the food system to keep growing, it’s critical that we continue to bring new farmers and ranchers into our community! We’re helping new farmers in a variety of ways...
- Our Land Link program has almost 60 new farmers chomping at the bit to find land and start their operations and we partnered with Farm Hands to get the database online.
- We’re developing classes and workshops to help farm businesses be as sustainable as possible.
- Plans are underway for an Incubator Farm, to provide new farmers with land and resources to help get new farms on the ground.
Did you know that CFAC is one of the leading organizations in the nation on farmland conservation?
After several years of advocacy, this year our County Commissioners made a commitment to enact policies that will conserve key agricultural lands across our county.
Now is the time to get involved!
The County is making gradual progress and it’s up to all of us to show them we care about the future of farming and want to see it protected! Learn how you can join the action - visit SpeakUp4Farms.org.
CFAC’s amazing board members put in a huge amount of work each year to define our direction, lead our committees, and contribute in many other ways.
Big thanks to these folks!
- Winona Bateman
- Tim Furey
- Jim Cusker
- Jim Berkey
- Blakely Brown
- Don MacArthur
- Joellen Shannon
- Stephanie Laporte Potts
- Seth Swanson
- Graham Roy
- Jean Duncan
- Jason Wiener
Thank you also to all of our members who serve on our committees! This diverse group of people ensures CFAC’s success.
- Donate $100+ by the end of the year and have your donation matched!
- Join one of our awesome working committees!
- Become a sustaining member by setting up a monthly pledge!
- Up your membership dues 25% and get one of our great t-shirts!
- Volunteer! We always need plenty of help!