Upcoming Field Days
Cost: $5, includes snacks
Location: 41041 Mountain View Rd, Polson
We know that the rules are changing on food safety, but what do they mean? On this field day, we'll do a walk-through of Fresh Roots Farm with Karl Sutton and Darci Jones as well as two food safety experts, Jan Tusick and Nancy Matheson. Together, you'll be able to see the farm through the experts' eyes. What are the problem areas? What are possible easy fixes?
- Wildlife and livestock management
- Manure and compost management
- Irrigation water
- Food-safe water for cleaning and handwashing
- Health & hygiene with interns and u-pick operations, working through illness, providing bathrooms, etc.
- Equipment for harvesting, packing, and transporting
- And recordkeeping!
We encourage you to bring your challenges and have the group help you brainstorm cheap and easy ways to make sure you're being safe and careful with your products! This field day is occuring in partnership with the Western Montana Growers' Coop and their group GAP certification pilot program.
Registration for GAP & On-Farm Food Safety closed on Friday, August 8th!
Previous Field Days
Cost: $5, includes light dinner
Location: 5905 Mullan Road, Missoula
Have you been wondering about ways that you could increase your income by diversifying your products or services? John Stahl will take us on a tour of his farm and tell us about the events, on-farm store, and on-farm dairy he's developing, the challenges and opportunities he's faced, and more! Plus...
- Dave Prather of the Western Montana Growers' Coop about some of the processing opportunities their farmer members have been taking advantage of.
- Jacob Wustner of Sapphire Permaculture Apiary on the new products and classes he's been developing.
- Ben Ferencz of Foothill Farm on hot sauce, on-farm housing, soap, and other ways to diversify.
If you've been thinking about diversifying your operation, this will be a not-to-miss workshop!
Cost: $30, includes lunch by Burns Street Bistro
Location: 1301 Scott St., Missoula (under the Scott St. bridge on the Northside)
See examples of successful DIY tools and dream up your own in Montana's first ever Farm Hack! It's a new event that's sweeping the nation, bringing together farmers, builders, and tech folks to create on-farm solutions! This event will offer attendees the opportunity to learn from some of our region's experts on tools you can use to improve your farm and reduce your equipment costs.
Two-hour workshops will be offered simultaneously by the following experts:
- Blacksmithing with Mark VanderMeer of Bad Goat Forest Products: Learn the basics by developing a simple hand weeder and attaching wooden handles
- Welding with Jimmy Willett: Learn the basics of welding to fix your machines and build new tools
- Incorporating Bike Parts with Bob Giordano of Freecycles: Learn how to reduce equipment costs by adding cheap or free bike parts to your tool-building know-how
- Tour the sawmill at Bad Goat Forest Products and see how you could hack some tools to work for you at home!
We'll finish out the day with a few beers and bao buns from Bao Chow! Join us!
Cost: $5, includes light supper
Location: 61240 Foothill Rd, St. Ignatius
Have you been wondering about ways that you can add innovative soil and water conservation practices into your operation? Learn about tools that are being practiced by Foothill Farm in St. Ignatius and Deluge Farm in Camas Prairie. Hear from NRCS agents about cost-sharing opportunities you can use to make these tools a reality on your farm!
If you'd like to stay informed about future events, like us on Facebook!