This workshop was recorded and is available for your viewing online! The video and a bunch more info on a slew of financing available for beginning and established farms and ranches are available in our new Farm Financing Guide! Click here to view.
- Click here for an end-of-the-year letter that our speaker, Wade Weber, put together for his clients.
- Click here for Tax Tips for Farmers from the Maine Organic Farmers & Gardeners Association.
- Click here for IRS Publication 225: Farmer's Tax Guide.
Employee and Intern Management
We're in the process of developing a list of best practices for keeping your employees and interns happy. A few that came up at the workshop include:
- Feed them well
- Have fun and provide opportunities for recreation
- Welcome them and engage them in your farm and in your family
- Pay on time
- Develop a solid agreement in advance of their arrival
- Give them something to take ownership of, be it a bed of carrots or bringing in the sheep at night
- Assign tasks that will give them a sense of accomplishment, i.e. design tasks so they can be accomplished within a reasonable and visible time frame
- Give them a living space separate from your own (for your sake and theirs!)
In addition, here are links to a variety of resources developed by a range of partners. For more on an array of legal issues, visit http://farmcommons.org/.
- Farm Commons' Five Minute Guide to Workers and Employees (link)
- Overview on Employment Regulations (doc)
- More Info on Volunteers and Interns on Farms (doc)
- Federal Fact Sheet on Agricultural Labor (pdf)
- Federal Fact Sheet on Internships (pdf)